Lake Kasumigaura is the second largest lake in Japan. Located at 40 km northwest of Tokyo International Airport, it is approximately 60 minutes travel by car. Kasumigaura Marathon/International Blind Marathon is one of Japan’s best-known civic marathon races. It takes place every spring on the shores of Lake Kasumigaura. With 27,000 runners in 2014, it is ranked at the 4th largest marathon race in the country.
The area offers a beautiful natural environment with a sweeping view of Mt. Tsukuba and Lake Kasumigaura, and yet, it is easily accessible from Tokyo. However, that is not the only attributes that attract so many runners to this race. Each year, a large number of local volunteers give a warm welcome to the runners, support them during the races and cheer them on; such sense of community can’t be found at any other marathon race in Japan.
This is an official event of the Japan Association of Athletics Federations (JAAF), International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), and International Paralympic Committee (IPC), hosted by Tsuchiura city and Kasumigaura city of Ibaraki Prefecture. The top few finishers will be invited to participate in overseas races such as Sidney Running Festival.
Sunday, April 19th, 2015 (Rain-or-shine)
Participants run along the shores of Lake Kasumigaura, The start and finish lines are located at Kawaguchi Athletic Park area.
Applications for entry will be accepted from Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at 10:00AM to Wednesday, January 7, 2015 at 5:00PM (Japan Standard Time)
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a complete application form via fax.
Fax: +81 3-5495-0785
The application form here
Please send questions and inquiries to email@example.com
Please allow us up to several days to reply. (English or Japanese)
【Visually Impaired Division】
Applicants must contact the Japan Blind Marathon Association (JBMA) by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Maximum Number of Entrants
【Visually Impaired Division】
15 runners (Entrants are selected by the lottery when applications exceeded the maximum number.)
For all four races, runners must be high school student or older, and in good health.
Cut Off Time
The races will be conducted in accordance with the rules and regulations of the JAAF, IPC and race organizer.
Japan Association of Athletics Federations (JAAF) Officially Recognized Race
International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Officially Approved Course
International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Officially Recognized Race
IPC will recognize only the result and record of runners who has IPC Athletics License Registration and International Classification Status.
(Every participant must agree with the following rules to validate their entry.)
- The organizer will take no responsibility for disease or injury of entrants, loss of entrants' belongings, or any other accident that involves entrants except for emergency treatment.
- Once an entrant's application is accepted, no request for change in the applied division or no cancellation of applied entry for the entrant's own reason will be accepted.
- False declaration of age or gender or entry of a person other than the applicant (false entry) will not be accepted. If such false application is found, the entry will be nullified.
- Entry fees will be non-refundable if the event is cancelled by earthquake, wind damage, flood, snowfall, crime, accident, or disease.
- Entry fees excessively or repeatedly paid to the organizer will not be refundable.
- The right to publish images, photos, articles, records, entrants' names, ages and addresses (including county, prefecture or municipality), etc. associated with or during the event on TV, in newspaper, magazines, or the Internet and all the related or resultant portrait rights shall belong to the organizer.
- The organizer will comply with the private information protection law and regulation in handling the private information of entrants.
- This event will be held in full compliance with all the applicable laws and regulations of Japan.
- For your safety, please make sure to come into the race in top shape.
- Participants may be asked to withdraw from the race when it is deemed necessary by the organizer.
- No designs, logos or trademarks associated with corporate and/or product names that can be deemed as advertisement and/or political statement may be worn or displayed during the event.
- Instructions by the organizer must be followed with respect to all matters not provided for herein.
Visit Tsuchiura City Tourist Association website at http://www.tsuchiura-kankou.jp/en/index.html for accommodations and other local information about the area.
From Tokyo: Take Japan Railways (JR) Joban Line from Ueno Station and get off at Tsuchiura Station. The ride is about an hour. Our marathon start/goal site is about 5-minute walk from Tsuchiura Station east exit.